Cranstoun Footcare ~ Nail Surgery
When conservative measures have failed to relieve the painful symptoms of an ingrown toenail.
An ingrown toenail is a very painful condition. If conservative management of an ingrown toenail has been unsuccessful and it is causing recurrent infection. This minor surgical procedure may be considered as a solution.
The procedure takes between 45 minutes and 1 hour :
- A full assessment to evaluate the suitability for this procedure. i.e. circulation, ability to heal well etc.
- Administration of local anaesthetic to numb the digit completely.
- Removal of a section of the nail or the entire toenail.
- An acid called phenol 95% is then applied to the nail bed to prevent the nail from growing back.
- A dressing is applied which must be kept on and dry for 2-3 days until return to clinic.
Following the treatment you must be collected from the clinic. Full instructions on after care will be given and several returns to the clinic will be required until the wound has healed.